What Can I Do To Get Formaldehyde Allergy Relief?


Asked by Don

What Can I Do To Get Formaldehyde Allergy Relief?

I get an allergic reaction to everything made with formaldehyde. My skin cracks, itches, etc. How can I get relief?


There's lots of things you can do to get relief from an allergy, but one of the most important things you can do is to stay away from the things you are allergic to. Also, keep in mind the formaldehyde is possible carcinogen (a carcinogen is a substance that can cause cancer), so you should try that much harder to avoid it whenever possible. The EPA says this about formaldehyde: "Formaldehyde, a colorless, pungent-smelling gas, can cause watery eyes, burning sensations in the eyes and throat, nausea, and difficulty in breathing in some humans exposed at elevated levels (above 0.1 parts per million). High concentrations may trigger attacks in people with asthma. There is evidence that some people can develop a sensitivity to formaldehyde. It has also been shown to cause cancer in animals and may cause cancer in humans. Health effects include eye, nose, and throat irritation; wheezing and coughing; fatigue; skin rash; severe allergic reactions." Be sure to carefully read labels of any products that you normally use or come in contact with. The EPA also offers a list of tips for reducing your level of exposure to formaldehyde, which is commonly found in housing and building materials. As for itchy skin, many over-the-counter hydrocortisone creams should provide itch relief (but be sure to read the label, because I don't think you can put the cream on broken skin). If you're concerned at all about your reactions, then you should see your doctor.

Answered by JB