Asked by keith
What Is The Ideal Weight For A Male At My Height?
I am a male at 5 feet, 8 inches, and I am wondering what my ideal weight should be?
How much you should weigh can be determined by your height and body frame size. The width of your wrist measured in inches is the standard used to determine frame size.
How to Determine Frame Size:
1. Extend and spread apart the fingers of the dominant hand.
2. Place cloth tape measure around wrist at the point where there are two "knobs".
3. Measure ensuring that the tape goes across both "knobs".
- Height over 5' 5"
- Small = wrist size 5.5" to 6.5"
- Medium = wrist size 6.5" to 7.5"
- Large = wrist size over 7.5"
- Height under 5'2"
- Small = wrist size less than 5.5"
- Medium = wrist size 5.5" to 5.75"
- Large = wrist size over 5.75"
- Height 5'2" to 5' 5"
- Small = wrist size less than 6"
- Medium = wrist size 6" to 6.25"
- Large = wrist size over 6.25"
- Height over 5' 5"
- Small = wrist size less than 6.25"
- Medium = wrist size 6.25" to 6.5"
- Large = wrist size over 6.5"
If you do not have a tape measure, a rule of thumb to determine your frame size is to wrap your thumb and middle finger around your wrist on the opposite hand. If the thumb and finger overlap then you have a small frame. If the touch then you have a medium frame. If they do not touch then you have a large frame.
How to Determine Ideal Weight Range:
Knowing your frame size, you may now calculate your ideal weight range using this online calculator. Based on your height of 5'8" here are the ideal ranges for a healthy male:
Small frame: 143 - 147 pounds
Medium frame: 154 - 158 pounds
Large frame: 165 - 169 pounds
For more precision, specialists recommend using a combination of Body Mass Index (BMI), Body Fat and Lean Body Mass to figure an individual's ideal healthy weight. Calculators for each of these are available on the web.
Here is a useful full body analysis online calculator. HealthCentral also has a handy online tool to calculate your ideal weight.
Before starting any diet to lose or add weight, be sure to consult your doctor to discuss what is the best weight for you.