What Kind Of Doctor Treats Muscle Pain?


Asked by NDwlovesangel

What Kind Of Doctor Treats Muscle Pain?

I have had muscle pain starting in my hip and radiating down to my ankle for six weeks now. I had an epidural in the hip joint, then the following week I had an epidural in the L5 disc. These gave me no relief, so the doctor says it has to be a muscle problem. He keeps giving me differant drugs, but nothing is stopping the pain. It goes from a 6 to a 10 or 12 on the pain scale in a matter of seconds. What kind of doctor would treat this?


Has the area been scanned to see what's up? Often muscle pain is treated by rheumatologists but osteopaths specialize in the muscle/skeletal system and there are kinesiologist and chiropracters in the alternative health fields. Also, if you're a person who is dealing with long-term or chronic pain, often you will be referred to a pain specialist who can find the right mix of physical therapy and medications to help ease your symptoms. You might ask your doctor if a pain specialist could help you at this point.

Here are some links to articles that might be helpful to you as you're dealing with this. Good luck!

Let's Talk Pain Meds

Why Yoga May Help Soothe Many Types of Chronic Pain

Using Mindfulness Meditation to Alleviate Physical Pain

You should know: The answer above provides general health information that is not intended to replace medical advice or treatment recommendations from a qualified healthcare professional.