What Physical Sympton Does A Person Feel If They're Experiencing High Blood Pressure?


Asked by nanalorry

What Physical Sympton Does A Person Feel If They're Experiencing High Blood Pressure?

I come from a family of 10 siblings and most have died from heart disease (father's family history) and diabetes (mother's family history). Thus far I consider myself to be in very good health (age 66). I had surgery this month, and my anesthesiologist told me that my blood pressure was rather high and would rise occasionally during the surgery. She said I should mention this when I see my PCP; however, In Sept. I had my annual checkup and everything is normal for my age. My blood pressure taken at the time was also normal (can't remember the #s). My concern right now is sometimes I awake feeling lightheaded and need to sit or lay for awhile and when I begin moving around or doing chores, I seem to feel better. I don't ake any medications, only Vitamins, (the same taken for many years). Should I be alarmed about the anesthesiologist's suggestion? I thank you in advance for your prompt attention to my questions. Again, would you kindly explain what/how I would if I had high blood pressure, or bouts of it. Thank you.

Sincerely, nanalorry


Hello nanalorry,

I am not as concerned about your anesthesiologist suggestion as I am about your exertional shortness of breath, lightheadedness, and your significant family history of heart disease. You should make another appointment with your physician and discuss these symptoms as soon as possible.

Having shortness of breath with activity is a sign of heart disease, as is the intermittant lightheadedness, and your family history puts you are greater risk.

Your blood pressure should be on average no more than 120/80. You should considered getting a home blood pressure monitoring device and taking your blood pressure several times a day. Record these readings and take them to your doctor to look over.

To tell whether or not you have heart disease (one of the consequences of high blood pressure) you need to see a physician who can knows your history, perform an entire physical exam, do order studies like an EKG, labwork, chest xray, among others.

To your health,

Neil MD

You should know: The answer above provides general health information that is not intended to replace medical advice or treatment recommendations from a qualified healthcare professional.