What Sort Of Doctor Treats Thoracic Outlet Syndrome?


Asked by Barb B

What Sort Of Doctor Treats Thoracic Outlet Syndrome?

I have been told I exhibit all the symptoms of Thoracic Outlet Syndrome by my pain doctor. I developed a neck injury and rotator cuff tears to both shoulders from almost 30 years of repetitive mousing and typing as a legal secretary. I have had surgery to one shoulder, with poor results, despite strictly adhering to p.t., home exercise, TENS, stretching and icing. I am 55 years old. My pain has become an entity in and of itself, from struggling within the Workers Compensation system. About the only thing that doesn't hurt (yet) is my sense of humor. So, would I see a neurologist for a definitive diagnosis? Thanks in advance -


According to the Mayo Clinic, "You're likely to start by seeing your family doctor or a general practitioner. In some cases, your doctor may refer you to a doctor who specializes in vascular conditions or vascular surgery." You might try asking your pain specialist to recommend a doctor who treats TOS.

Here is a link to the Mayo Clinic's information about TOS: Thoracic Outlet Syndrome

Answered by Karen Lee Richards