Reflux Friendly Cooking is a weekly feature full of quick and easy food ideas that are acid reflux friendly and can be easily modified to meet the needs of everyone in your family Each week I’ll provide a simple menu that is designed for easy digestion. I’ll also give you suggestions on how to modify the same recipe for others in your family without acid reflux disease. Bon AppÃ©tit!
White Chicken Chili. Enjoy this reflux friendly version of an American classic.
- 1 Tbs. canola oil
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (cut into cubes)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 bell pepper (chopped) (omit or serve on the side if not tolerated)
- 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 2 cans white beans (cannellini) (rinsed and drained)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Directions: Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add chicken cubes, salt, pepper, onion, and pepper.* Cook until the chicken is cooked through, stirring often. Then, stir in the remaining ingredients and heat to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and serve warm. Top each bowl with a sprinkle of the shredded cheese.
- If tolerated, or if making another batch for others without reflux, you can add 2 tsp. chili powder and 2 tsp. ground cumin to the skillet when you add the chicken.
Tracy Davenport, Ph.D., is a freelance health writer and the C.E.O. of Tracy’s Smoothie Place. She serves as the expert on a weekly radio show about health and wellness and is the author of Making Life Better for a Baby with Acid Reflux and multiple articles about the cost of caregiving. She can be found on Twitter and Instagram @drinksmoothies.