PsoriasisPsoriasis Symptoms

Let's Talk About the Signs and Symptoms of Psoriasis

Skin freaking out? We've got the doctor-vetted details to help you determine if you've got the skin condition psoriasis.

    Our Pro PanelPsoriasis Symptoms

    We went to some of the nation’s top experts in psoriasis to bring you the most up-to-date information possible.

    April W. Armstrong, M.D. headshot.

    April W. Armstrong, M.D.Professor of Dermatology, Associate Dean for Clinical Research and Psoriasis Program Director

    Keck School of Medicine and Department of Dermatology at the University of Southern California (USC)
    Los Angeles, CA
    Mark Lebwohl, M.D.

    Mark Lebwohl, M.D.Chairman of the Kimberly and Eric J. Waldman Department of Dermatology

    Icahn School of Medicine at Mt. Sinai
    New York, NY
    Gretchen W. Frieling, M.D. headshot.

    Gretchen W. Frieling, M.D.Dermatopathologist

    Private practice
    Newton, MA
    If stress seems to be a trigger for you, try yoga.
    Psoriasis Awareness Month

    #Save60 for Psoriasis Awareness Month!

    Psoriasis patients spend about an hour day managing symptoms. We’re here to help you #Save60 so you have more time for you.

    Frequently Asked QuestionsPsoriasis Symptoms

    What are the most common symptoms of psoriasis?

    Plaque psoriasis is the type of psoriasis that most people have; it appears as sharply demarcated, red, sometimes silvery patches of skin that have scales on them called plaques. Other types are much less common, even rare—like pustular or erythrodermic psoriasis.

    Once you have psoriasis symptoms, do you always have them?

    For 90% of people, symptoms can go into remission—for weeks, months, or even years at a time. The other 10% have what’s called “spontaneous remission,” where your skin unexpectedly clears up for good.

    Does moisturizer help psoriasis?

    While moisturizer won’t heal or get rid of psoriasis, heavy creams may ease the itch. Look on the ingredients panel for vitamin E, shea butter, aloe vera, or hyaluronic acid—all badass hydrators. And make sure any product you use says on the label that it’s free of alcohol and fragrance; these can be drying, and eczema-prone skin needs tall drinks of water, not more parching.

    What kind of doctor should I see for my psoriasis?

    A dermatologist is your best bet. Look for one who specializes in psoriasis at the National Psoriasis Foundation website where you can search by city or zip code. There you can also find a rheumatologist, an expert to consult for psoriatic arthritis.

    Michele Bender

    Michele Bender

    Michele Bender is an award-winning freelance writer and book author who specializes in beauty, health, and wellness.