Halloween Diabetes Quiz: Can you count the carbs?
The HealthCentral Editorial Team | July 31, 2009
- 1 A fun size Twizzlers
- 0 A handful (26 pieces) of Candy Corn
- 0 A fun size Milky Way bar
- 0 A fun size Snickers bar
You are correct! You are incorrect!
1. Which one of the Halloween treats is the best choice for someone who has diabetes?
Twizzlers contain fewer calories and carbohydrates and less sugar than the other options - making it the better choice for a sweet treat.
2. Which of the following foods is the best choice for families who want to hand out a diabetes-friendly Halloween treat this year?
Any of the above! They're not just personal-sized and perfect for kids — they're also all diabetes-friendly Halloween treats.
3. If you give your child sugar-free Halloween candy, you do not have to worry about their blood sugar levels.
Sugar-free does not mean carbohydrate-free, and carbohydrates can still affect blood sugar numbers. It's not always just about the sugar levels - be sure to check the carb-count, as well. Opt for sugar-free Jelly Belly gummy bears, which are low on sugars and carbohydrates.
4. If you are an adult, alcohol can fit into a diabetic diet when consumed in moderation. Which alcoholic beverage does not have carbohydrates?
Pure spirits - like vodka - contain zero carbs. However, when you start to mix those spirits with soft drinks or juices, you're venturing into a carb-heavy zone. Keep your spirits "clean" by mixing with soda water. And, whatever you do, steer clear of wine coolers, which are loaded with carbs and sugar!
Which of the following food items is lowest in sugar?
Not only are pumpkin seeds low in sugar, but they can also reduce blood sugar levels.