Butternut Soup Shooters
This soup is so creamy and luscious you won't believe it's dairy-free!
What’s the secret to this dairy-free creamy soup? Cashews! This vibrant app is colored naturally with anti-inflammatory turmeric and is fragrant with seasonal herbs. Serve it in shot glasses or small juice glasses for party-friendly slurping.
- ½ cup raw unsalted cashews
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried rosemary
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup celery, roughly chopped
- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 cups no-sodium chicken stock
- For the garnish:
- ¼ cup raw unsalted cashews, roughly chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Make the soup: Place the ½ cup cashews in a bowl with 2 inches of space on top. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Pour the water over the cashews and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes to soften.
- Meanwhile, add the vegetable oil to a soup pot over medium heat. Add the oregano, rosemary, and turmeric and cook for 1 minute, stirring the whole time. Add the onion, salt, and pepper, and cook over medium or medium-low, until the onion is fragrant and translucent but not browned. Add the celery and squash and cook for 2 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- Add 2 Tbsp. water and stir until almost entirely evaporated. Add all the chicken stock and increase heat to bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to keep at a moderate simmer. Cover and cook for 30 minutes, until vegetables are softened. Remove from the heat.
- Drain the cashews and discard the soaking liquid. Add the cashews to the pot. Using a high-speed blender or an immersion blender, purée the vegetables, cashews, and all the liquid until very smooth and creamy.
- To serve: Heat to soup over medium-low until warmed through. Carefully ladle 4 oz. of soup into serving glasses and top with a small sprinkle of cashews and crack of black pepper.