Chili Shrimp Tacos With Avocado-Tomatillo Sauce
Give Taco Tuesday a zesty seafood twist!
Give your tacos a UC-friendly Mediterranean twist and swap the beef for shrimp. Our version is also packed with fiber-rich veggies, which help feed beneficial gut bacteria, which can help keep symptoms in check. Get the scoop on how we developed our UC Cooking Club recipes!
- 1 lb. medium raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 1 Tbsp. plus 2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 6 oz. fresh tomatillos, peeled and halved
- 1 ripe avocado, divided
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves, divided
- ½ medium jalapeño, seeded (optional)
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 3 Tbsp. thinly sliced green onion
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 8 (6-in.) corn tortillas, warmed
- Place shrimp in a bowl and toss with chili powder, cumin, and ½ tsp. salt. Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add shrimp and arrange in a single layer; cook 3 minutes. Flip, and cook 2 more minutes. Transfer to a plate; keep warm.
- Prepare Avocado-Tomatillo sauce by combining tomatillos, ½ of the avocado, ¼ cup cilantro, jalapeño (if using), and remaining ½ tsp. salt in a blender; blend until smooth.
- Place cabbage, green onion, remaining ¼ cup cilantro, lime juice, remaining 2 tsp. oil, and ¼ tsp. salt in a bowl; toss to combine.
- Divide shrimp and cabbage mixture evenly between warmed tortillas. Top each taco with 2 Tbsp. Avocado-Tomatillo Sauce. Cut remaining ½ avocado into slices and use as garnish.