Alcohol-free and oh so fancy! You can switch up the sweetness for each guest.
Sweet, tart, and sparkly: This zero-proof cocktail is sweetened with a homemade rosemary and honey syrup, so you can control how much sugar goes into each one. Make sure that you’re using unsweetened cranberry juice as the base!
- 2 tsp. dark brown sugar
- 2 tsp. any variety of honey (wildflower, clover, etc.)
- 1 Tbps. fresh rosemary, roughly chopped, plus 2 sprigs rosemary for garnish
- ¼ cup water
- 4 oz. unsweetened pure cranberry juice
- 1 cup ice
- 12 oz. unflavored sparkling water
- Optional: For the garnish
- 1 tart apple
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- Do ahead: Make the syrup. Combine the brown sugar, honey, chopped rosemary, and water in a small sauce pot. Heat slowly over medium until it begins to boil. Remove from the heat and whisk until all sugar has dissolved. Cover and let sit at room temperature for 1 hour to infuse with flavor. Strain the syrup through a mesh sieve or piece of cheesecloth. Store in a jar or airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Optional do ahead: Make the garnish. Preheat the oven to 250˚F with a rack set in the middle. Turn the apple on its side and slice it into very thin circles with a star in the middle (as thinly as you can without losing any fingers!). Remove any seeds.
- Arrange the apple slices on a wire rack (such as a cooling rack) in a single layer. Sprinkle all over with the cinnamon. Set the wire rack on a baking sheet.
- Bake the apple slices for 70-75 minutes, until almost entirely crisped. Turn the oven off and let the apple slices cool in the oven for 2 hours (they will continue to dehydrate as they cool). Remove from the oven and store in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Make the cocktail. Combine the ice, cranberry juice, and 1 Tbsp. of the honey-rosemary syrup (or desired amount) in a cocktail shaker. Cover and shake vigorously for 30-45 seconds. Divide the chilled liquid between two glasses (you may also include the ice, if you like).
- Top each glass with 6 oz. of sparkling water, and garnish with a sprig of rosemary and/or an apple chip. No cocktail shaker? Alternatively, you may combine 2 oz. of cranberry juice and 2 tsp. syrup in each glass and stir. Add ice, then top each glass with 6 oz. of sparkling water.