Festive Dark Chocolate Bark
You can customize this no-sugar-added treat with your family's favorite toppings. by Rochelle Bilow
A snap to make, and without any special equipment required, this no-sugar-added candy makes an elegant dessert and thoughtful gift. Top it with whatever nuts, seeds, or dried fruit you have on hand, but be sure to choose a dark chocolate that’s 70% cocoa to keep sugar and fat content in check.
- 6 oz. 70% dark chocolate, such as Green & Black’s
- 6 dried unsweetened apricots, chopped into small pieces
- 2 Tbsp. lightly salted pistachios, roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp. peppermint candies, crushed or smashed into small pieces
- Prepare the toppings and have them close by, so that the chocolate does not solidify before you can decorate it.
- Line a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper and set aside.
- Melt the chocolate by placing it in a heat-proof bowl set over a pot with 2 inches boiling water. Be sure that the water does not touch the bottom of the pot, or the chocolate will scorch. Use a pot holder or kitchen towel to hold the bowl steady as you stir it with a flexible spatula. Once the chocolate is smooth, give it a final stir and take it off the heat. Alternately, you can melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl in the microwave in 15-second bursts, stirring after each time.
- Pour the chocolate onto the parchment-lined baking sheet and use your flexible spatula to spread to ⅛-inch thickness. Scatter the toppings all over the top, either in rows or all together — it’s your choice how to decorate it!
- Place the baking sheet with the chocolate in the freezer and let sit for 10 minutes until firm. Break into roughly 1” pieces (they will be perfectly imperfect). Store in an airtight container in a cool place; the chocolate will melt and get “sticky” in a hot kitchen.