Total Time50 min
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. garam masala
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into ½-in. pieces (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup uncooked brown lentils
- 4 cups lower-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 bunch lacinato kale, stemmed and roughly chopped
- Fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
Per serving: 250 calories; 6g fat; 1g saturated fat; 0mg cholesterol; 652mg sodium; 21g carbohydrate; 4g fiber; 12g protein; 8g sugar; 124mg calcium; 6mg iron; 604mg potassium
Step 1Heat oil in a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium. Add onion; cook 5 minutes, until softened. Add garlic, tomato paste, cumin, and garam masala; cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add sweet potato; stir to combine; cook 5 minutes. Stir in lentils.
Step 2Add broth, water, tomatoes, and salt; bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until lentils are cooked and sweet potato is tender, about 30 to 35 minutes. Stir in kale and cook, uncovered, until kale is wilted, about 2 minutes.
Step 3Divide evenly into each of 6 bowls. Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.