Total Time30 min
- ¾ cup dry quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups lower-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. sea scallops, patted dry
- ¾ tsp. kosher salt, divided
- ½ tsp. black pepper, divided
- 1 cup diced avocado (from 1 avocado)
- ¾ cup peeled and diced orange segments
- ¼ cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 tsp. orange zest, plus 2 Tbsp. fresh orange juice
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
Per serving: 351 calories; 15g fat; 2g saturated fat; 27mg cholesterol; 880mg sodium; 35g carbohydrate; 7g fiber; 19g protein; 6g sugar; 58mg calcium; 3mg iron; 704mg potassium
Step 1Combine quinoa and broth in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until most of the broth is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Fluff quinoa with a fork and cover to keep warm.
Step 2Meanwhile, heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Sprinkle scallops with ½ tsp. salt and ¼ tsp. black pepper. Add scallops to pan; cook 2 minutes. Turn and cook 2 more minutes or until desired degree of doneness. Remove scallops from pan; keep warm.
Step 3Combine avocado, orange segments, bell pepper, orange zest and juice, remaining 1 Tbsp. oil, ¼ tsp. salt, and ¼ tsp. black pepper in a bowl; gently toss to combine.
Step 4Divide quinoa and scallops evenly between each of four plates. Top with Avocado-Citrus Salsa, and garnish with fresh parsley.