Smoky & Sweet Party Mix
Serve this tasty mix in small ramekins or cups to keep portions small and social-distancing rules simple.by Rochelle Bilow
Like everyone’s favorite snack mix, but with less fat, sugar, and no preservatives. Baking the pumpernickel squares separately helps them crisp up and become delightfully crunchy. Keep a close watch on the nuts in the oven—your nose will tell you when they are ready!
- 1 cup pumpernickel bread, sliced thinly and cut into ½” squares or triangles
- 1 Tbsp. melted coconut oil
- 2 tsp. light brown sugar
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 cup raw unsalted almonds
- 1 cup raw unsalted walnut halves and pieces
- 1 cup raw unsalted cashews
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F. Arrange the pumpernickel squares on a wire rack (such as a cooling rack) in a single layer. Set the wire rack on a baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven for 7-8 minutes until toasted and crisp. Remove from the oven and let cool; maintain the oven temperature.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the coconut oil, brown sugar, smoked paprika, cinnamon, and sea salt. Whisk to combine, then add the almonds, walnuts, and cashews. Use a flexible spatula, wooden spoon, or clean hands to toss, coating all the nuts with the coconut oil and seasonings. Spread in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet (you can use the one from the pumpernickel squares).
- Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes, until fragrant and golden — do not overbake, or the nuts and sugar will burn. Remove from the oven and immediately pour into a large mixing bowl. (The one you mixed everything in is fine). Add the pumpernickel squares and toss to combine. Let cool completely, then store in an airtight container at room temperature.