6 Simple Strength-Training Moves
HealthAfter50 | Aug 15, 2016 Aug 22, 2016
Try this at home
1. Lower leg extension
• Attach ankle weights to your lower limbs and sit in a chair with your back straight.
• Raise one foot until your leg is straight.
• Lower your foot back to the resting position.
2. Leg curl
• Attach ankle weights, stand straight, and rest your hands on the back of a chair.
• Raise one foot at a time behind you until your shin is parallel to the ground, and then lower it.
3. Triceps extension
• Hold a dumbbell by one end overhead using both hands, arms straight.
• Bend your elbows until they are fully flexed so the weight lowers toward your back.
• Raise the weight back overhead.
4. Abdominal crunch
• Lie on your back, knees bent comfortably, feet flat. Fold your arms in front of you and tuck your chin into your chest.
• Using your abdominal muscles, raise your shoulders and upper body. Keep your lower back on the floor.
• Lower your shoulders and upper body back to the resting position.
5. Lateral shoulder raise
• Stand straight with arms hanging down at your sides, a dumbbell in each hand, palms facing your outer thighs.
• Slowly lift dumbbells to shoulder height, keeping your elbows slightly bent.
• Lower the dumbbells back to your outer thighs.
6. Biceps curl
• Stand straight with arms hanging down, a dumbbell in each hand, palms facing your outer thighs.
• Lift one dumbbell, rotating your forearm so your palm faces your shoulder.
• Lower the dumbbell to the resting position and repeat with the other arm.